dimecres, d’octubre 20, 2004

The interview

The interview,

First of all i want to give a small introduction of ther history of Catalonia.
As early as the sixth century BC, Greek merchants established trading posts along the Catalan coast, then inhabite by proto-Iberian tribes. By the third century BC, the Phoenicians and Carthaginians had settled in Barcelona.
In the eight century, Catalan Christians southt helk from Charlemagne in repulsing the Moorish invaders. The period following the Reconquest and the reign of Wilfred the Hairy is recognized as the origin of the Catalan nation, and Barcelona soon became the dominant political and militairy force in the region.Descendents of Wilfred the Hairy acquired the throne of neigboring Aragon by marriage, and from then on, the fate of catalonia was linked, however tenously, to that of Spain.
In 1640 revolt, during which the Catalans changed their allegiance to Louis XIII of France, was crushed with the end of the 1652 siege of Barcelona by Don Juan of Austria.
When the Catalan´s again attempted to secede from Phillip V´s monarchy during the Spanish war of Succession, Catalonia finally lost its privileges with the humiliating surrender of Barcelona on september 11, 1714, today ¨celebrated¨ as Catalonia´s National day.

I wanted to know this again and exactly before interviewing the people. Then i know where they talk about and what they mean.

The first person: Anna
She works in the fotoshop at the corner of my street. I always go there for my foto´s and after a few times she recognized me. We started to talk and i asked her the questions about the asigment.
She was born in Barcelona and she grows up in Barcelona aswell. Her parend and their parents where also growed up in Barcelona. So she said: ¨I´m a typical Catalan girl¨. She is only 22 and speeks Most of the times Catalan. She can speek Spanish, but not that good. All her friend are Catalan too, and she thinks that her children with their friend comming real Catalans too.
I asked her wat she thinks about an independed Catalonia. She said that in her head its already an different country, but not in reality. It don´t have to for her, if she can have her own Catalan culture, her own food, dances and other cultural festivals and stuff its ok for her.
For me its strange to hear, becous i think its a bit old-fashioned for me. I am for the EU and like the globalisering a lot. When i hear that she is completly sure about Catalonia, it fasinate me. The conclusian is that she realy feels Catalan, and always will do she thinks.

Secons person: A girl in my sportschool, i don´t know her name.
I go a few times a week to a sportschool. There was one girl who was working there and she asked me a lot of things about Holland. So we started to talk about cutures. I asked her the same questions like above. She was also 24 like me.
She was completely different from the other girl. She was very open minded and wanted to go to other countries. Fot her Catalonia was just a province of Spain with yes, his own culture, but she don´t see it like an other country, and she even don´t want that it become indipended. The histery she liked, and she is very proud of the inportend things Catalan´s invented and offering to the economi, but as a independed part its not neccesary for her. She feels Spanish and not Catalan.

Third person: My neighbour; Maria Ruiz.
She lives next to me. I wanted also an older woman or man, becouse of a better inpressian between young and old.
I asked only a few questians, becouse she only speeks Catalan, and it was diffeculd to understand for me. So i hope i understood it in the wright way.
She was born in Madrid and when she was 28 she mooved to BArcelona with her husband. So she is not Catalan and her parents either. Now she lives for a quite long time here and she said she it not Catalan jet, and she never will feel like.
Now she is 65 and she liked it very much to live with the Catalan, but to be one its not possible when you are not grown up in Catalonia.


So the conclusion of my interview is that when you are grown up in catalonia, and only have friend and familie from Catalonia, you feel one of them. But when you was grown up in another part of Spain and you move later to Catalonia, you will never be a real Catalan.
I think many young people who are more pointed abroad and open minded they like the culture, but want to do moere, and discover more. They feel not completely Catalan but respect the culture.

Merel Peels